How are your eating habits? Do you know what the two key components of energy management and weight loss are? You’ve heard the old saying, “You are what you eat!” Although there may be some truth in that, there is SO much more to understand. Let’s take some time to focus in on the two key components of energy management and weight loss:
- Controlling your energy intake
- Managing your insulin pump
Together, these two components work together to provide a long-term eating strategy that will help you live a longer, healthier, more vibrant life.
To help you succeed in these areas, I would like to offer you three simple tools.
- The Nine-Inch Plate System
- The Three Component System
- The Color Charts
Today we will talk about the first two.
- The Nine-Inch Plate and the Three-Component SystemWhen we put food on our plate, we need to consider the three vital micronutrients: Carbohydrates, Protein, and Fat. And we need to focus on the three major food groups: Vegetables & Fruit, Protein, and Starches. A 9-inch plate allows us to keep our portions under control and is easier to “balance” appropriately. Half of your plate should be vegetables and fruit, 1/4 should be protein and 1/4 starches.
Depending on if you are in the weight-loss or maintaining current weight mode, you will plan your caloric intake accordingly. Tomorrow I will share the Color-Coded Shopping System we use in our coaching program to help clients begin to make better food choices while shopping and preparing their meals.
Have a healthy day!